Ensuring Adequate Resources
The board must ensure adequate resources to allow the organization to carry on its mandate. Financial resources feed into the health and stability of the organization. The board’s responsibility is to determine how the organization creates the needed revenue, whether that happens through fundraising, earned income, or other innovative methods that feed into a healthy bottom line.
The board must also ensure the organization has the human resources it needs. One of the most important functions of the board is to ensure the operations are in good and capable hands. Hiring the most qualified chief executive ensures the board is able to delegate the management of the organization to the right person and free itself for the governance role.
The board must also pay attention to its own composition. A profile analysis helps the board focus on the right recruitment efforts in order to ensure all needed skills, expertise, and perspectives get incorporated within its membership.
What to do:
- Ensure the organization has a development plan that feeds from the strategic plan
- Define the duties and responsibilities for staff and board members in fundraising
- Hire and support the chief executive
- Draft a job description for the chief executive
- Identify and recruit good board members
Additional references and resources: