Reporting and Operations
Posted: December 1, 2009
Size of Organization:
- Create a standardized travel reimbursement request form with instructions for completion. Excel can be used for the form so totals will be automatically calculated once the form is completed.
- Require appropriate documentation for all travel reimbursement requests.
- Require the submitter of the travel reimbursement request to sign the request. Require an approval for operational staff requests by their immediate supervisors and approval for non-staff requests by operational staff.
- Let employees know that travel expenses will be audited. This could produce better self-monitoring of expense reports submitted by employees. If these audit costs need to be reduced (maybe there are many reports with a small average dollar amount), randomly audit the reports. Those employees with errors on their reports should have all future reports audited as long as errors continue.
- Let employees know which expenses are allowable.